Mechanical Purchasing Specialist
At VHV Company, everyone works for one another. VHV is 100% employee-owned, which means the organization is made up of many owners, but more importantly, one collaborative team. When you join VHV, you work for a family-oriented company that is invested in people, teamwork, integrity, continuous improvement, and safety. You also work for a nationally recognized mechanical contractor that provides highly innovative solutions for customers. Providing that level of service for over 70 years has earned VHV a reputation for superior quality throughout the Northeast.
VHV is a full-service mechanical construction contractor specializing in the installation of high-quality plumbing, piping, and air systems for the commercial, industrial, and institutional markets. Our main office is in Winooski, Vermont and we work throughout Vermont and New Hampshire.
VHV Company has an opening for a Mechanical Purchasing Specialist.
This individual would be involved in the buyout of specialty plumbing and mechanical materials for construction projects and requires collaboration to provide a seamless environment from the time a job is bid to the time it is complete. The Specialist will write purchase orders, and work with Project Managers on obtaining/reviewing submittals as well as taking day to day orders from field Foremen. The Specialist will work closely to build relationships with wholesalers and manufactures reps. He/she must consistently deliver a quality product within acceptable time constraints. The ideal candidate should have a background in the commercial plumbing and/or mechanical industry or have related experience.
- Review project drawings, specifications, and estimates.
- Research vendor/supplier prices, delivery dates, etc. through written bid or verbal quote. Prepare bid summaries/evaluations.
- Negotiate and issue purchase orders with selected vendors.
- Initiate or receive field purchase requisitions and expedite/coordinate material deliveries.
- Prepare submittals, installation & operation manuals, and warranty documentation.
- Track and monitor purchase orders and equipment received.
- Track project submittals throughout the approval process.
- Organize and maintain tracking systems for projects.
- Run job specific reports.
- Assist accounts payable with resolving invoice problems and matching invoices.
- Meet with vendors and suppliers to build relationships and seek discounted purchasing agreements.
- Develop, implement and monitor a return/credit process for defective and/or warranty covered company purchases.
- Coordinate quality requirements with Engineering.
- Perform additional assignments per supervisor’s direction.
The Purchasing Agent will report to the Operations Manager and work closely with all Project Managers, Project Manager Assistants, and Foreman.
- Minimum 5 years construction plumbing/mechanical material procurement experience.
- Knowledge of plumbing/mechanical materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of mechanical constructions systems.
- Ability to organize multiple projects.
- Manages and resolves conflicts constructively.
- Strong practical problem-solving skills.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical specifications, architectural drawings, and construction documentation.
General working knowledge of accounting practices:
- Strong computer skills using all Microsoft applications, Adobe, and Bluebeam.
- Attention to detail.
- Good data entry skills.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Work is complete and thorough.
- Have general math skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Keep project data/paperwork organized.
- Ability to plan and meet deadlines.
- Work in a team environment.
- Ability to review and understand policies and procedures.
- Business process improvement experience.
- Problem solving ability, analytical and numeracy skills.
- Ability to be flexible as work conditions change.
VHV offers industry-leading pay. Benefits packages include:
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Accrued Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays
- Profit Sharing
- Gym Membership
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- 401(k) Plan, with Company Match
- Employee Owned Company (ESOP)
- Ongoing Employee Training
Equal Opportunity Employer
VHV provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.